Friday, April 27, 2012

In the past, I’ve used the Hal Higdon Novice Training Plan to prepare for the half marathons I’ve run.  I like it because it’s pretty straightforward, it started where I was at that time, it works up the mileage gradually, & it’s geared to someone who just wants to be able to finish a half.  I was running roughly fifteen miles a week, mostly runs of three miles w/ a “long” run of four or five miles.  I’d follow the plan, run the half, & then go back to that routine.  Nothing wrong w/ that; I enjoyed my runs, which I did at 5:00 A.M. before going to work, & following the plan let me finish three half marathons.  I'm not fast, my best time is still over two hours, but I’ve enjoyed every one of them.  

For this last half, which was on Pensacola Beach, I did my training runs on our local beach in the afternoons.  I figured it would be good to get accustomed to the wind & sand & sun.  I found that I really like running on the beach (duh) & that the longer runs were much more pleasant.  So, after this last half, I’ve kept up the mileage.  I still have to work around family obligations, so I do runs of five miles on the beach on Tuesdays & Thursdays while my son is at Taekwondo, an early three mile run on Wednesdays (this is usually my only timed run), & a beach run of eight to ten miles on Sunday before Church.  Saturdays, I try to get in a bike ride.  

That’s where I’m at.  I don’t know what I’ll do different to get ready for the next half I run & I may not do much of anything different at all.  I don’t see a full marathon in the near future as I just don’t have the time to devote to the training.  Maybe after I retire.  Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment